Private car use has been prohibited in Uganda. According to the President’s address to the nation on Monday 30.03.2020 at 8PM, all modes of transport have been muted. Nobody is allowed to move – even with private cars or boda-bodas from 10:00 pm tonight for 14 days!
Other directives set by the president include;
- All Shopping malls and arcades closed for 14 days. Only retail shops are allowed to operate. All Non-food shops or stores not to open for 14 days; Only food shops selling agricultural, veterinary and pharmaceuticals may stay open, but with Social Distancing; Home deliveries could be considered; Supermarkets may stay open but with SOPs observed;
- Established food markets may stay open – 4 metre distancing must be observed – and the corresponding vendors must not go home for 14 days;
- Salons, lodges and hotels closed for 14 days.
- All government offices to close.
- Essential services – banks, security, garbage collection, petrol stations, may operate; UNRA, Funeral Services, medical.
- Cargo transport by planes, trucks and motorcycles may continue – planes to have only the crew.
- No more than 5 people gatherings prohibited;
From 31 Mar 2020 there will be a curfew throughout Uganda;
- Private transport may only take persons for medical emergency reasons;
- Economic interventions being worked on – including utilities, bank loans, etc
- Government workers may continue but follow SOPs; Families of security officers to avoid moving to barracks;
- Distribution of food, beans, powdered milk, etc shall be arranged.