The Uganda Press Photo Award and Canon invite photographers between 18 and 25 years of age to participate in the Young Photographer competition. As part of the Uganda Press Photo Award 2016, this competition is geared towards passionate young photographers lacking the tools to realize their vision.
Waiting for the winner is a Canon 1200D kit sponsored by Canon as well as a 2 month photography residency and a solo exhibition during UPPA 2017.*
How to apply:
October 20th – November 3rd, 2016
Photographers are asked to submit the following:
– a motivation letter explaining your passion for photography and introducing yourself
– a project proposal/idea on your chosen subject that you’d like to shoot with the right gear.
1. The project proposal should not be longer than 2 pages of A4 (font size 12, single spacing), written in English.
2. Motivation letter should be no longer than 1 page of A4 (font size 12, single spacing), written in English.
3. The proposed subject must be unique and original.
4. One proposal per photographer will be considered. In the case of multiple submissions being received from a single photographer only the first proposal received will be considered.
The applications should be sent to [email protected] for review by our jury who will select a group of 8 photographers who will be invited to the next stage, where there will be a portfolio review and interview.
November 18th – 19th, 2016, Uganda Museum
The selected photographers will be asked to prepare a portfolio presenting their best work. They will meet each of our experts, present their work and have a conversation with each person.
Entries will be evaluated by a panel of judges.No correspondence pertaining to the judging process will be entertained. The diverse panel of industry professionals who will be looking at your work includes:
• Anne Ackermann (Photojournalist, FOCUS)
• Annette Seba (Senior Lecturer in Photography, Makerere University)
• Carl de Souza (Photojournalist, AFP)
• Benjamin Füglister (Artistic Director, POPCAP)
• Edward Echwalu(Photojournalist, Reuters)
• Frédéric Noy (Photojournalist, Agence Cosmos)
• JideAdeniyi-Jones (Photojournalist)
• JiroOse (Photojournalist, Redux Pictures)
• Martin Kharumwa (Photographer, PlusTwoFive)
The winner of the competition will be announced on November 26th at the Uganda Museum
DEADLINE for submissions: November 3rd 2016
Please contact [email protected] if you have any questions.